Home Forums Miscellaneous Activities of Daily Living (ADL)

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Keymaster

In this topic we talk about how to perform various ADL such as bathing etc.

Admin
      Keymaster

Bathing

[3/23, 7:25 PM] Hardeep Sodhi: Message from Prateek on our TG group :

___

All the stroke survivors who have affected hand, please tell me how do you do your daily care stuff like taking bath and especially cutting nails?

I am currently getting help from my parents but would love to know if someone has found a way out of this dependency ??

___

If any has any suggestions and experiences to share please put here, thanks.

[3/23, 7:46 PM] Aparna Bhattacharjee: My experience-

1. Firstly if you can walk upto the bathroom, fantastic. If no take help & enter.

2. Do not lock the bathroom door from inside till you don’t become confident ( which will come later)

3. Sit & take a bath. Wherever on a stool or the commode.

4. Open the tap. Even if you cannot just try 5 times you enter the bathroom. After a few days, your hand & fingers will move on its own with the tap. Move it clockwise AND anticlockwise.

5. Use the affected hand to hold the mug, with the good hand to assist it from below & pour water. Take small quantities of water initially.

6. Use your affected hand to soap any one part of your body… a little part of the non affected hand…or one leg..or the small knee….or even the small palm will do.. Rub rub rub. As much as possible.

7. Brushing your teeth – Dentists say ideally one should brush for 3 FULL minutes to maintain oral hygiene. Brush at least for a few seconds with affected hand.

These are tried & tested methods by me. I achieved quite a bit doing all this.

Good Luck Prateek.

Krishna Patel:

I am also getting help from parents, my effected hand it totally paralysed. I too would love any knowledge or tips that would help. Thank you in advance.

Hardeep Sodhi:

Re taking bath, this may provide some ideas ..

Admin
      Keymaster

Clipping Nails

As for clipping nails single-handedly this may help :

But seems only available in US presently./

YouTube Video :

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.