Our Mission : Raise Stroke Awareness and Support Stroke Survivors and Caregivers !
A Stroke changes EVERYTHING …
About every two seconds someone suffers a stroke and about every five seconds someone dies from a stroke – regardless of age or gender !
Some latest data (2019) on Stroke:
– Second leading cause of death amongst persons above 60 years of age
– 5th leading cause of death amongst 15-59-year-old population
– Leading cause of disability worldwide
– 17 million people worldwide suffer a Stroke each year of which 6.2 million will die and 5 million will remain permanently disabled. 70% or more of Strokes occur in lower and middle income countries including India.
( – from http://www.stroke-india.org/)
And the survivors are either temporarily or permanently scarred by physical and/ or mental disabilities. Disabilities which take a severe toll not only on themselves but also on their immediate families as they struggle to provide love and care to their loved relatives in a scenario where even the Medical Fraternity has no clear cut answers sometimes. As said , Stroke is one of the BIGGEST disablers. Communication , Technological and Medical advances make it highly probable that a stroke victim will survive. Which in turn means a prolonged post stroke period of care . Care which involves the whole family. Which drains the whole family emotionally and financially – in a Country with NO Social Security System worth talking about.
Yet there IS Life and where there is life, there is HOPE !
Hence this Website.
Our Mission : To increase Stroke Awareness and Offer Hope and Support to Stroke Survivors as well as Caregivers in India, both Offline as well as Online.
We provide :
- Stroke Awareness amongst the general public so that incidents of stroke reduce and symptoms of onset of stroke are recognized earliest and correct treatment started within the ‘Golden Hours’. It is well known that simple life style changes could have prevented more than 80 % of strokes. Further, stroke is an emergency and treatment needs to be given immediately to reduce the risk of life long disability or even death ! In stroke, Time Lost is literally Brain Lost !
- Vitally important Encouragement for both the Victims as well as the Caregivers and families.
- WhatsApp Group for sharing , supporting, cheering up and learning from each other.
- Several Social Media Channels where you can join in.
- Events such as Webinars, meetups, Seminars with Experts and whatever else our resources may permit – sometimes by just holding hands and being there .
- Information on Free services of use to stroke survivor sand caregivers.
The Genesis of this Website is personal experiences. And focus here is on sharing such experiences as well as those of experts, gathering support , courage and hope thereby. It is a wholly voluntary effort and if you would like to join in, please do !
NOTE : If you have limited/no information about Stroke Symptoms, we STRONGLY RECOMMEND you read at least one of the following before leaving this Website. Also please DO tell others such as your family and friends about these posts. Maybe you can share these posts with them / on your social networks. It is indeed quite possible you will save a life or prevent someone from being crippled for life !
* Be fast – Stroke Symptoms in English
* स्ट्रोक (आघात) – हिंदी में कुछ जानकारी
* In Gujarati – જ્યારે સ્ટ્રોક આવે ત્યારે BE FAST
* In Bengali – Be Fast – দ্রুত !
* In Odiya – ଷ୍ଟ୍ରୋକ: ମୃତ୍ୟୁ ଅଥବା ଶାରୀରିକ/ମାନସିକ ଅସମର୍ଥ
REQUEST : We are looking for Volunteers to translate this Site’s Content in different local languages. If you can help, please click here and provide information requested. Thank you very much !
PLEASE NOTE : This is NOT a Medically Competent Website, no such claims are made neither should be construed. Even though medical practitioners as well as stroke survivors may be occasionally offering support and advice here ( as well as associated Channels such as WhatsApp, Telegram etc. ) based upon their assessment and/or experience no obligation and responsibility accrues either to them or to us as a consequence. This is all the more important as each stroke as well as stroke survivor is unique. Hence , please ALWAYS consult competent Medical Practitioners – including your own treating doctors and proceed after exercising your own due diligence. Most of all DO NOT give up .
Further, this Site is a Work in Progress. Anyways you can contribute – ideas, suggestions, information, assistance- is most welcome. Please use the form provided at the Contact Page or at the Help Us page for the purpose.
You can also join in via one/ more of the other channels as convenient to you, although this Site remains the ‘base’.
Join other Stroke Survivors, Caregivers and equipment/service providers for help, encouragement , knowledge sharing and most importantly – hope – via:
** Whatsapp Group: https://strokesupport.in/contact/
** ALL other means to connect with us, including Social Media Groups and Channels on Telegram, LinkedIn, Facebook ( in many local Indian Langages) , Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube ; as well as means of Volunteering, giving Feedback, sharing your inputs etc. may all be found at :
Please DO have a look and join in wherever convenient as well as share.
Thank you VERY MUCH !