Home Forums Physio and Occupational Therapy How much physiotherapy is needed ?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Keymaster

From FB Group :

Garima Maheshwari

Hello! My mother is 60 and suffered a brain hammeroage on 24th April due to high BP. Her right side is paralyzed and she has brocha Aphasia. She can say a few words correctly but sometimes we don’t understand what she says. The left side is weak too due to inactivity. She gets tired of physiotherapy( thrice a day) and her motivation to try has gone down. Her body pains and has memory loss. How much should we push her for physiotherapy? What can we do to help her revover fast?

Phalguni Arasanaghatta

Please take it slow and keep it consistent. It’s natural for the body to feel very weak after a stroke. Also muscles lose strength due to disconnect with the brain and stiffness sets in causing pain. Please keep her motivated it’s natural to feel down after such a drastic life event. Physiotherapist plays an important role in ensuring and engaging with the patient. Talk to him/her.. recovery is definitely possible.. it’s a slow process.

Radhika Poovayya

Hi, I would suggest you reduce physiotherapy to once a day and see if she feels better ,next you can increase to twice and check. Intensity is important but you have to find the right balance.
      Hope you have started communication with her using pictures. As speech may take time you need to help her reduce frustration by using other communications methods

Vijay Rustagi

3 times a day is too much

Vijay Rustagi

1 or 2 hours is OK
      My brother also had brocas aphasia

Melitta Menezes

Hi Garima, as a physiotherapist well experienced with working with patients suffered from a stroke, let me assure you post stroke fatigue is real and pushing too hard can be detrimental.. once a day physiotherapy should be good enough.. Also it would be helpful to learn the activities so that they can be done spaced out throughout the day rather than all at one go.. whereever possible combine therapy – such that sitting can happen during her speech tasks. Or during tv breaks etc.. Let her take naps during the day to keep up energy. Take care of nutrition and hydration especially if she is not able to swallow well and is on tube feeds. Seek counselling at the earliest, for the family as caregivers first and then also for the patient. A stroke is a major life changing event as well as it directly affects centres of the brain responsible for thought and motivation. Wishing you well…

Srinivas Pyati

Keep her motivated with positive vibes ?, stay safe and blessed, my prayers go out to you for the speedy recovery and wellbeing of your mother ?

Neha Vishal Gupta

Please start speech therapy from some expert. It will help a lot. If you are a non vegetarian then you can give her mutton paya soup( in Hindi gori ka ras). It works like magic and weakness will go. Give her daily for atleast a month.

Preetha Ghosh

Hi Garima , my mother suffered the same as you mentioned on december.she is 64 years old. Initially she used to get too tired of physiotherapy.we started exercising her 30 mins in morning and 30 min evening. It is a very slow process. Still she cannot balance. Connect with me .so we can discuss more.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.