Home Forums Miscellaneous Music and Stroke Recovery

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Keymaster

DOES MUSIC HELP IN STROKE RECOVERY ? HOW ? RESEARCH BASED EVIDENCE ?

Admin
      Keymaster

Some responses from FB :John McDowell

Definitely! post stroke for some strange reason I found listening to music from my youth (the 70’s) very therapeutic and ten years later I still play it!! ?
      Steve Mars

One of the first things I realised after a few days in hospital was that my “music file” was missing. I knew music had been very important to me but that was about the extent of my memory. I had my event well away from home so had no access to my music. When my sister, who used to visit every day discovered this , she went home and made me a cassette (we are taking 2000) and bought me a cassette player. When I listened to the cassette it was a revelation, somehow I remembered the music, and knew Liz had tried to choose music which was important. but also knew it was not “my” music.
      Later when at the staff asked for my list of what to re-learn drums and guitar were two of the six must do’s. (Along with tennis , motorbike , dancing and roller blading) they said be serious …walking? writing? reading? get serious.!
      Anyway , when I walked out of hospital five months later and caught a coupe of planes home, Yes I am one of the very lucky stroke recoverers, I set about relearning my music, basically had to play about 300 or so albums, and a similar number of CD’s…loved the way how playing and listening to one would mean that a whole hunk of other associated memory would return.
      Then the drums…independence, control over the ability to do different things with your arms and legs at the same time is essential, and I was so pleased and excited when that happened , probably within a year or so. I am now quite happy to perform in public.
      Never much of a guitarist, but always enjoyed the challenge, again after a year or so strumming songs was no real problem, but may be bit of an exaggeration to call it music.
      About four years ago I signed up for an on line classical music course, and even though progress is very slow I do enjoy so much, try to do about 2 or 3 hours a day and every small improvement and playing something that starts to sound like real music is just wonderful.
      Scarcely research based evidence I accept, but for my 21 years post my stroke my connection with music continues to be an essential element in my ongoing recovery.
      Hardeep Sodhi

Steve Mars that is a wonderful recount. Would love to have a video or two of your performances !Anecdotal evidence is as important as research based. To me, the strong motivation and ongoing interest in ongoing efforts it may provide a stroke affected is very valuable.
      Matt Ramsey

When I suffered my 15th stroke and had to have a craniotomy, it seemed like all things had changed; then, 5/6 years after the fact, I sat down behind my drum set again.
      I chose to switch to play the bass drum with my other leg/foot; but, once I dusted the cobwebs off, I played much stronger, much faster and much more rhythmically syncopated than I ever had, previously.
      I got together with guitarists and a bassist and we started playing at different venues for money.
      Hardeep Sodhi

Matt Ramsey wow that is wonderful ! and after the 15th stroke – you are an inspiration man !
      Hardeep Sodhi

We are having a zoom event to discuss this on 7th August 7 PM ( IST ). Join in if any can. Here the link to register :
      Admin
      Keymaster
      From TBI FB group
      Elizabeth Mountain

I heard the mozart effect had been disproved but I believe there evidence it helps with epilepsy, and I use music with my brother s recovery but there are other times he finds it too much to listen to music
      John D Cole

I Find that if you constantly change the type of music you listen to it stimulates the emotions in different manners.
      Nicole Shardlow Willey

I’m a music lover, but post tbi and subsequent concussions, I find it very irritating and sensory overwhelming.
      Hardeep Sodhi

Nicole Shardlow Willey yes for many post stroke/TBI music becomes a challenge.
      TBIREHABILITATION.WORDPRESS.COM
      Music/Music therapy – TBI Rehabilitation

Music/Music therapy – TBI Rehabilitation

Hardeep Sodhi

Kostas Pantremenos thanks much for the link. For a layman such as me, understanding will be an ask but certainly will try…
      Woodring Micheal

New research has found that music therapy sessions have a positive effect on the neurorehabilitation of acute stroke patients, as well as their mood. Mar 5, 2020
      https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200305203539.htm

Sally Peck

It probably depends on the person and the part of the brain that is injured.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.