Home Forums Physio and Occupational Therapy TENS, NMES, FES, E-stim

Tagged: , , ,

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Keymaster

[6/21, 8:12 PM] Bharti Dhankani: I too am confused on the difference between tens,FES, NMES& e-stim..sir I request you to request some physio explain it on the group and also advise on where to get the unit
      [6/21, 8:16 PM] Dr. Melitta Menezes: Hi.. if everyone can hold on for a while I’ll do the needful…
      [6/21, 9:53 PM] Dr. Melitta Menezes: E-stim / electrical stimulation is an umbrella term that encompasses all the below

1. TENS – transcutaneous electrical stimulation – this current merely goes thru the skin … It does not produce a motor response .. it may be used to reduce the spasticity but the effects are very temporary… As in few minutes to hours..

2. NMES – neuro-motor electrical stimulation – stimulates the muscles… However this is an involuntary response, and the brain is not involved.. hence learning cannot be expected…

Functional electrical stimulation :- this is the one that has shown some promise in stroke recovery. The muscle is stimulated to perform a functional task. So the brain can learn how to perform the movement.
      [6/21, 9:55 PM] Dr. Melitta Menezes: The unit of delivering the current of TENs and electrical stimulation are available in the market easily, but they won’t help stroke recovery…
      FES will have to be performed in the presence of a professional and they will demonstrate the correct way of using it…
      [6/21, 9:56 PM] Dr. Melitta Menezes: Point to note :- stimulation is not a standalone option, it should be combined with other intervention/therapy methods for best results…
      Also FUNCTION is primary, work for FUNCTION in whatever you do… That is the best method for stroke recovery…

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.