Aphasia tips : How to communicate effectively with Aphasia affected ?
Aphasia is a condition that robs one of the ability to communicate. It can affect one’s ability to speak, write and understand language, both verbal and written. Aphasia typically occurs suddenly after a stroke or a head injury. If you are looking after someone suffering from Aphasia, here are some aphasia tips to enable better communication.
- Grab Attention before you begin conversation.
- Minimize any background noise.
- Use simple phrases and sentences.
- Don’t raise voice unless indicated.
- Emphasize on keywords.
- Don’t talk down or in a childish voice.
- Have patience. Don’t complete the aphasia sufferer’s sentence.
- Use gestures, writing or drawing.
- Don’t ignore the person in group conversation.
- Encourage independence.
- Confirm with yes/no questions.
- Use apps to communicate better.
Do you have any helpful tips ? Add in the comments hereunder , or via the form here, thank you !
Help us translate this content in other Indian Languages. For same , please contact via the form here .
Please share this post wherever you can to help others, thank you !
Join other Stroke Survivors, Caregivers and equipment/service providers for help, encouragement , knowledge sharing and most importantly – hope – via:
** Whatsapp Group: https://strokesupport.in/contact/
** ALL other means to connect with us, including Social Media Groups and Channels on Telegram, LinkedIn, Facebook ( in many local Indian Langages) , Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube ; as well as means of Volunteering, giving Feedback, sharing your inputs etc. may all be found at :
Please DO have a look and join in wherever convenient as well as share.
Thank you VERY MUCH !